Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Peterhof Palace

    April 10, 2018 in Russia ⋅ ⛅ 4 °C

    It was a rather grand entrance view to the palace as we walked into the grounds. Even though the time of year, it was still magnificent. Although my favourite ‘palace’ is still Malmaison in Paris - the home of Josephine and Napoleon.

    We were a bit unsure how to get in as there didn’t seem to be an entrance from the front but we followed some other people, asked for directions and found our way round the back where the entrance was. We were somewhat aghast to see a massive Asian tour group lined up waiting to enter. If we had to wait behind them it would take forever. Thankfully there was a separate queue for non tour groups and we skipped ahead of the group - phew.

    We had to put funny sack sort of bags over our shoes, I guess to protect the floors. We hadn’t needed it at the other palace but oh well! They made walking somewhat slippery and it was tempting to try and skate along the floors but with a formidable Russian observer in every room we didn’t dare try.

    Heidi went to walk through the turn table thing into the palace, bumped her head, cried and was given a little fluffy duck from a museum staff lady on the way in. Then on the way out she was sooking about something and was given a lolly. She’s going to be a spoilt one by the time we get home!

    As we managed to get ahead of most of the tour groups we were able to get some pictures without having crowds of people in the way.
    Read more