Satellite
  • Day 2

    Day 1: Shanghai

    November 17, 2018 in China ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Visiting China for this Thanksgiving Week, and Shanghai is our first stop.

    Several years ago, we took the maglev train( Magnetic Levitation train) when we had a stopover in Shanghai but never exited the station. This time, since we plan to spend a couple days here, we took the train again. With the speed of 435 mph, we arrived our destination in 7 mins! So cool!

    Instead of staying at a fancy hotel, Steve booked an AirB&B apartment. Since it’s located within a normal apartment building, finding it among hundreds of apartment buildings proved a bit harder than a hotel. Fortunately the owner gave us some pictured instructions. It’s kind of neat to live among 21 million Shanghai residents for a couple days.

    As soon as we walked into the apartment, we were at awe when we looked out of the window: a magnificent Shanghai skyline displayed right in front of our eyes!

    Exhaustion didn’t stop us from heading to the Bund, and check out the skyline up close.

    After a satisfying Hotpot dinner at a famous restaurant, we walked alongside thousands and thousands tourists towards the Bund.

    The Bund is a very unique site: this waterfront area was the Chinese headquarters of most major financial institutions from all over the world during the colonial period, so there are many historical buildings at this side of the river. But if you look across the river, you will see one of the most impressive skylines in the world! Many architectural achievements are displaying their glories in colorful neon lights, welcoming visitors from all over the world.

    The stark contrast of the sights perfectly demonstrated the 2 Chinas: the old colonial China in Shanghai was once famous for the signs on its buildings read “Chinese Native and dogs are not permitted to enter”; the new China that has the development speed that is unmatched in the history, is changing the skyline of this city in daily basis, showing off the enormous economic power.

    After coming back to the apartment, with the ever changing neon lights from the high rises in my eyes, I have to say I am proud of my motherland.
    Read more