Satellite
  • Day 1

    Signs & Omens

    April 27, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    A large meteor streaks across the sky trailing red and green sparks like a giant firework. Big, spectacular, so close I think, at first, that it's a firework. Streaking east to west above the pitch black Cook Strait: that's the first sign.

    The following morning I awake to a large double star hanging in the sky above the entrance to Wellington Harbour. A UFO? No its not moving. So a UO then, until I remember that NASA launched a giant very high altitude balloon from Otago on the South Island yesterday. That must be it, reflecting the rising sun. Sure looks spooky though and I can't help but keep going out and looking at it and pondering it's existence. What this interest does allow me to see though are all the Spook jets and military transports leaving Wellington airport early in the morning after thier 'secret' meeting down in Arrowtown, near Queenstown the weekend just gone. The CIA Director, the Head of the FBI and big chiefs from the other Intelligence Services of the 5Eyes alliance. A most unusual gathering: that's the second sign... or is it an Omen?

    All that distraction and I'm late for work on my last day at DIA. I've been working as a Solution Architect for the Department of Internal Affairs for almost two years now but today is my last day before I head off on my big overseas adventure for 4 months. Barrable Travels.

    First stop is Japan in a few days time after I relocate my belongings back to my place on the S Island and say my goodbyes to the wild west coast. Can't help but feel I'm heading into a potential war zone what with those two tinpot dictators screaming at each other over the Korean peninsula and rattling thier sabres.

    The next morning the UO is still hanging in the sky but this time it looks further south... can it really be that NASA balloon? It looks smaller today too so may be. The Cook Strait and Wellington Harbour are glass smooth but a Northerly is blowing strong and I just have this weird feeling something big is going to happen soon. Maybe it's just the anticipation and excitement building as I prepare to depart for the Northern Hemisphere, but it feels more like a premonition.

    New Zealand is a 'safe place' far from the madding crowd and the madness of just about everywhere else in the world. But it is not untouched by the winds of war blowing through global geopolitics. See you later Chief Spooks... I wonder what you were talking about all weekend; or maybe you were just in Queenstown to go bungee jumping :-)
    Read more