Satellite
  • Day 8

    Tokyo to Kyoto by Shinkansen

    May 4, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Well here I am sitting on the floor on my futon in my Ryokan room, eating Chocolate Chou Creams and Green Tea Ice Cream... yum! Busy day today exploring Asakusa and the Skytree area of Tokyo on another hot sunny day before heading to Kyoto via the amazing Shinkansen train. I just love the train system here and public transport in general its just soooo good!

    Arrived at the station slightly early and watched as the pink clad cleaning crew appeared from a small door in the side of the stairs up to the platform and stood to attention by the doors to await the Shinkasen arriving. When it did and the passengers had duly departed the crew goes on board to clean it and turn all the chairs around so they are facing the right way - each two or three seat pair pivot so can be switched around - and then all pop out of the doors again as if on queue and do a little bow before inviting the new passengers to embark. Equally efficient at each stop, and always on time, the Shinkansen speeds through Japan at up to 320km/hr carving its way through the countryside through tunnels in mountains and hills and generally on raised rails. A marvel of engineering and organisation that makes long distance travel a breeze... every country should have them.

    More ancient traditional temples and shrines and ultra modern architecture and services today. From ancient Ushima Shrine to the 'Golden Turd' atop the Asahi building. Feels like it should be a total contrast but in reality the two sit side by side in almost perfect harmony. I'm sure the high tech workers on the way to thier skyscraper offices swing by the local temple or shrine on thier way and pay thier respects or make thier wishes at thier local shrine or temple.

    An ancient and highly civilised culture, the Japanese seem to take everything in thier stride and manage to be respectful, helpful and friendly as well. Even this week where the crowds are massive and the entire population seems to be on the move, the transport sytem and daily life proceed with a strange serenity and efficiency.

    Lots of Holy Cows today, well Bulls actually; from the Ushima Shrine in Tokyo to a smaller 'Bull' shrine in Kyoto both where you are supposed to stroke the part of the bull that corresponds to a problem area on your own body and it is said it will heal your ailments. I'm hoping it helps with my lower back... but losing wieght would probably help even better. :-)

    Got lots of exercise today especially as Expedia managed to take me to totally the wrong location when I was looking for my Ryokan (a small traditional Japanese hotel/guest house) but luckily I was rescued by some passing Americans who knew where it really was. It was always going to be a long walk from the nearest Metro but the wrong location on thier online map did not help at all. All good though as i got to see even more of Kyoto and down some residential streets I would never have seen otherwise. Kyoto is a beautiful city!

    Lots more exploring the next two days and I have a very busy schedule to try and fit it all in.

    Should be fun! :)
    Read more