Satellite
  • Day 7

    Kool Kremlin

    June 14, 2017 in Russia ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Well the Kremlin seems to be as hard to get into as it ever was! However I eventually managed to work it out and, after an unusual early breakfast involving pickled herring and tiramisu (don't ask!) I got off to an early start to beat the queues for Moscow's biggest attraction. And boy was it worth it! It was a thrill to walk through one of the huge intimidating gates and explore this famous complex. No less than four Cathedrals are contained within this ancient citadel. The sun shone, and the golden onions domes gleamed beautifully. The highlight however was getting a ticket for the Armoury before they sold out. An incredible treasure trove of Tsars' jewellery, regalia, weapons, costumes and state coaches - breathtaking!

    After all this, I pushed the boat out and treated myself to a lovely late lunch at the fabulous Cafe Pushkin. Fish soup served with pasties stuffed with more fish, and a glass of vodka, followed by suckling pig served with barley - tasty! A bus tour saw the weather change from glorious sunshine into a torrential downpour and a thunderstorm. The lady from Siberia sitting next to me shared her blanket and umbrella and we had a laugh together, although neither of us understood a word of what each other was saying. She seemed delighted when I gave her a small Scottish thistle pin badge in return.

    The evening was spent walking along Arbat Street - the new revitalised trendy area of Moscow full of bars and restaurants. Then back on the underground - still confusing as its hard to make out the Russian names, and lines sharing the same station all have different names! No more vodka for me tonight!
    Read more