Satellite
  • Day 8

    Abu Dhabi

    July 6, 2017 in the United Arab Emirates ⋅ 🌙 32 °C

    Spent my last morning in Japan touring the Imperial Gardens on a lovely sunny morning. You can't actually get into the Imperial Palace because Emperor Akihito lives there - how inconsiderate! I also visited Tokyo Tower - modelled on, but a few metres taller than, the Eiffel Tower. Still a lot smaller than the brand new Sky Tree Tower though.

    I was able to use my Japan Rail Pass for the last time on the Narita Airport Express.

    I flew with Etihad Airways - the official airline of UAE - who seemed pretty good. I was tempted to upgrade to Business Class, but at $1500 I decided just to slum it in Economy. I was a bit concerned initially when the flight started with a prayer on the screen, and regular reminders of the direction of, and distance to, Mecca. I thought I was in for a wee game of Bingo, but no luck. The food was okay, but my water carton and tray of veg were frozen rock solid. I was told that it was only Japanese fish for both meals, but eventually, after protesting, they found me chicken.

    Having a few hours stopover in Abu Dhabi after a 10 hour flight from Tokyo. Ready now for the last 8 hour leg to Edinburgh. It's midnight here in Abu Dhabi and 35 degrees!
    Read more