Satellite
  • Day 5

    ...from the Windy City

    May 26, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    On my 2nd day in the Windy City I got up early and fought through several hundred members of the North American Chinese Basketball Association to get breakfast at the hotel. I then went on a 2 hour guided walking tour of Architecture from the Golden Age of Chicago. It was an excellent tour showing how the citywide had literally risen from the ashes after the great fire of 1871 which had destroyed much of Chicago. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable but reminded me of a rather dishevelled Paddington Bear, with his floppy hat and blue coat. By the shape of him he had enjoyed too many marmalade sandwiches. One of my favourite buildings was the Wrigley Building, gleaming white and built for the chewing gum magnate William Wrigley, Jr, which sits at a jaunty angry at the Chicago River. We visited the interior of the fabulous Palmer House Hotel (where Magnolia and Ravenal in Show Boat lived before moving into a cheap rooming house when he lost his money gambling). Another highlight was the Chicago Cultural Centre which houses the world’s largest Tiffany dome - gorgeous. Another Tiffany masterpiece can be viewed on the amazing mosaic ceiling of Macy’s Department Store on State Street (sings ‘that great street’).

    I decided to opt for one of Giordani’s famous deep-filled pizzas for lunch, but the one that arrived would have fed a family of four. It was delicious but although I tried my best I had to get a doggy bag after only 2 (very deep-filled) slices. Next a visit to the wonderful Art Institute of Chicago - a real treasure trove - highlights for me included Seurat’s ‘A Sunday On La Grande Jatte’ (the basis for Sondheim’s ‘Sunday in the Park With George’), and of course ‘American Gothic’ (as reproduced beautifully at Eastwood by Marie-Claire and Kevin in The Music Man).

    Being a train lover, I was keen to take a trip on the Chicago Elevated Railway - known simply as ‘the L’ - which started in 1892. It goes round a city centre loop and then branches off in different colour coded directions. I got off at Belmont station to have a look around, only to find myself in Boys Town - the official gay district - where street crossings are painted rainbow colours and the whole area has a party atmosphere of music, bars and restaurants. Being a very hot day, I was tempted to quench my thirst in a large bar whose windows were open to the street, only to discover that the bartenders were big, burly male go-go dancers clad only in tiny leather thongs who appeared to gratefully accept dollar bill tips in their butt! I decided to opt for McDonald’s instead.

    Finally a trip to Navy Pier, a 3,300 foot long pier on the Chicago shoreline of Lake Michigan. It was a great fun place to visit, with lots of attractions including a carousel and fun fair, as well as countless bars and restaurants. I enjoyed a walk right to the end of the pier with its ballroom and great views over the lake. What a great two days I have had in the Windy City - so much to see and do - and definitely recommended for a visit.
    Read more