Satellite
  • Day 26

    The Wetlands - Literally

    June 16, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    After another lovely breakfast by the pool, we departed Miami and headed to Florida’s 1.5 million acre wetlands preserve - the Everglades. En route along the long state highway I had to brake to avoid a fat alligator 🐊 trying to cross the road. After that, Campbell was reluctant to get out of the car.

    On arrival at the metropolis of Everglades City (population 416), we decided to take one the many Air Boat tours across the mangroves and marshes. ‘I wouldn’t sit in front of the boat unless you want to get a little wet’ warned the lady behind us knowingly. ‘We’re from Scotland’ we reassured her. We took off at a hair raising speed, and 5 minutes later the heavens opened and we were caught in a torrential downpour for the rest of the trip. Still we had fun and saw a few alligators on the way. By the time we got off we were absolutely soaked to the skin, including the lady behind us, and had to use the hair dryer in our motel to dry out our soggy dollar bills.

    Had a nice dinner at the Island Cafe next door with a friendly atmosphere and real country cooking - hard to believe we were only 2 hours from Miami but in a completely different world.
    Read more