Satellite
  • Day 31

    "I have a thing for ferry boats"

    July 29, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Today marked one month since Kate and embarked on our big adventure and so I chose to celebrate it by putting together a small collage of the trip's highlights so far. People keep asking me what the best place we've visited or the highlight of the trip so far is and frankly I can't choose just one. Instead Kate and I agreed to pick a top 3:

    1. Cycling along Lake Michigan at night and stopping by the aquarium to watch the fireworks.

    2. The overwhelming kindness of our Air BnB hosts in Boston who not only gave us a 3 hour behind the scenes tour of Harvard but insisted we stay in their Cape Cod holiday home for free because they couldn't bear the thought of us in a hostel.

    3. The moment when the Grand Canyon Helicopter passed over the edge of the rim at 50 ft above forest to over 5,000 ft above the bottom.

    What would be yours from the photos you've seen so far? "What about Hollywood?!" I hear you cry. Well that would get it's very own top 3 moments!

    Anyway, as Im sure some of you have worked out Im nearly a week behind with my blogs and I am determined to catch up and so without further delay I introduce you to Seattle.

    My first comment about this city has to be about those wonderful green and white ferry boats. 10 years of watching Grey's Anatomy has made these very iconic to me and I practically shrieked when I saw one crossing the sound for the first time. The novelty did not fade.

    We began our day by visiting Pike Place Market - another tick on the Ephron Pilgramage Checklist. In my head this was merely a fish market but let me tell you it is so much more and well worth the visit. Kate and I initially split and agreed to meet again in just under an hour. Needless to say we kept extending our time there until I suggested we each buy lunch and meet back at the lookout point where there were tables and stools looking out over the sound.

    I had my very first 'Gumbow' - a bread roll with a chicken and gravy filling not dissimilar to a pasty but bread rather than pastry. It was delicious. I typically bought lunch with eyes bigger than my belly and had a BBQ pork kebab too. Yum. To finish Kate and I shared 'Summer in a Cup' from one of the colourful fruit stalls.

    We caught the monorail to the Space Needle to find tickets were not available until much later. Still suffering from the lack of sleep on the train I opted to head back to our exceedingly comfortable Air BnB on Green Lake which was a 15 minute Uber ride north of downtown. Uber is the latest revelation in our travels and one which I am very much enjoying. So fast, cheap and convenient. My only puzzler was when I ordered one for Kate and watched it approaching her location on my app to find the little graphic car suddenly started spinning on it's axis. Was it doing donuts? I nearly called Kate and told her not to get in for fear the driver was a lunatic. I still don't know what the spinning means. If any Uber pro can tell me, I'd be grateful.
    Read more