Satellite
  • Day 36

    Battling 'FOMO'

    August 3, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    Not long into my travels I was introduced to the term 'FOMO'. FOMO is the Fear of Missing Out and is a common occurrence when travelling. Have I missed something off the itinerary? Should I have gotten up earlier? What if I'd been on the other side of the boat? The list goes on. For the most part I've been pretty good at handling FOMO. Dad asked me earlier if I'd get to see much of Calgary while I was there in a few days time. I said no, I couldn't do everything to which he laughed and said you've made a pretty good effort! He's right of course. So once in a while you have to put FOMO aside and appreciate what you have done!

    A mini wave of exhaustion hit me yesterday and I told myself that if I needed it I would give myself a 'duvet day' especially whilst I had my own private room and wasn't subject to the comings and goings of dormitory life. This is exactly what I did and didn't fully surface from my room (like a bear emerging from her cave in need of food) til about 3pm. My internet research had lead me to believe that any sustenance was at least 20 minutes walk away. The walk would do me good I said. However I went and dopily asked the front desk if this was true and he pointed me in the direction of the sailing club at the end of the road (less than 5 mins walk) and I practically skipped out the door.

    I ordered myself a burger and chips and sat overlooking the beach out towards to the Vancouver skyline. Bliss. I got talking to a couple next to me one of whom worked in the film industry in props which always makes my ears prick up. She had just completed filming Netflix series 'Zoo'. You just never know who you're gonna meet.

    I talked to them about FOMO and confessed my duvet day. They were very kind and said most visitors to Vancouver never came across Jericho Beach and therefore they should all be experiencing FOMO for my gem of a find. I liked that.

    I took half my chips and burger in a doggy bag and sat against a large piece of driftwood on the beach, switched on my 'sleepy tunes' playlist and snoozed in the afternoon sun.

    FOMO fully evaporated I indulged in the rest of my lazy day hoping my batteries would be fully charged for some Vancouver sightseeing the next day.

    Naturally I experienced a bit of a second wind of awakeness that evening and a sudden chocolate craving. I went and pleaded at the front desk for good news on where I might find some. Nothing. I remembered seeing brownies and such like in the sailing club cafe so I ventured back there thrilled to find an ice cream stand and cookies. I sat back on my piece of driftwood, listened to the waves lapping at the shore, watching the twinkly city skyline whilst beach bunnies hopped around my feet. I promise they were not special cookies.
    Read more