Satellite
  • Day 48

    Fly Away Home

    August 15, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    With a late evening flight I had another whole day to spend in Manhattan. My Air BnB host was kind enough to let me keep my luggage in her front room so I ventured back into the city to explore the wonder that is Intrepid - Air, Sea and Space Museum. With flying in the blood, this seemed the perfect way to spend my last day. My only sadness was that Dad wasn't with me to share the experience as he would have loved every part of it. Needless to say I sent him multiple photos and phoned home whilst eating my lunch under Concorde. It has to be said I don't think one day would have been enough for him here. I struggled with only 5 hours and was there until they shut.

    The BBC Weather app failed me massively today as it had not forecast any rain whatsoever yet it was torrential for hours. So much so I had to buy an umbrella to be able to get out on the main deck to see my beloved Blackbird. I have not ceased to be amazed by this aircraft and only wish I had been lucky enough to see it fly. My heart literally skipped a beat when I caught my first glimpse of her from the dockside. I was similarly in awe of the Space Shuttle Enterprise. Such a collection of amazing aircraft and history in one place. I would put it on a par if not better than the IWM Museum at Duxford.

    I ventured back towards Brooklyn via Grand Central Station. I'd never been and so it was another one crossed off the list. It was then the start of the journey home. I was ready now.

    Petunia, Douglas, Pluto and I took our last Uber to JFK. British Airways did me proud once again and flew me home in style. Fittingly I fell asleep watching Beauty and the Beast looking forward to being home when I woke up.
    Read more