Satellite
  • Day 3

    When backpacking across western Europe..

    June 9, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Whilst starting to explore Park Guell on Saturday afternoon and getting a better perspective on the city, I spotted a little church on top of a mountain with a colourful ferris wheel on top. Naturally with my love of all things colourful and ferris wheels I had to investigate and was tickled to find this was the infamous Mount Tibidabo. Only true 'Friends' fans will appreciate the reference as it features in Joey's infamous seduction story which Rachel uses on Ross the night Emma is conceived. Needless to say it didn't quite fit that this mountain was in fact a relatively small mountain with an amusement park on top. We worked out that is was relatively easy to get to and even more impressed that our zone one travel passes got us all the way there without additional charges. This included the metro, overground train, funicular train and bus which took about 45 mins in total.

    The views from the top were beautiful and whilst there was a separate larger amusement park, the wheel, carousel and plane ride were all €2 a go. The plane ride amused me the most, a small plane on the end of a crane that flew around in circles. However, I later learned this had some historical importance which enchanted me. According to the parks official website - young and old will enjoy taking off in the Avió plane - the Park’s most stand-out attraction and the first ever flight simulator. It is a replica of the first aircraft to fly from Barcelona to Madrid in 1927. Powered by its own propeller, since 1928 Avió has flown visitors on a flight of sensations that make the imagination soar.

    As both a flight simulator and piece of aviation history, needless to say I'm now pretty disappointed we didn't go on it.
    Read more