Satellite
  • Day 3

    Day 3. New Luce to Bargrennan

    July 13, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Today was difficult. 32kms that took us through 50%bog and 50% track and Tarmac. We left New Luce at 6-15 and finished at 16-15. A difficult 10 hours.
    The first hour was on Tarmac and then we had two hours through bog. We negotiated this OK but it saps the energy squelching through it.
    There are an enormous amount of wind turbines and the government want electricity to be supplied 100% by alternative energy by 2020. Judging by the amount of turbines they are well on there way.
    We visited our first Bothy. The beehive. Good emergency accommodation. The Laggangard standing stones were next. Over 4000 years old.
    We stopped for an apple on the bridge over the Purgatory Burn in the middle of the bog.
    There was lots of climbing under, over and around fallen trees. We are getting too old for this type of walking.
    Towards the end of the day walking through bog I tripped and fortunately landed head first on a tussock. Lucky me.
    After we arrived at our hotel and during dinner down came the rain. Not looking good for tomorrow.
    Both of us are carrying niggly injuries due to the hard going. A good nights rest is required.
    Read more