Satellite
  • Day 7

    Day 7. Sanquhar to Overfingland.

    July 17, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Last night I thought I had a major problem. I had sent emails confirming our reservations on the West Highland Way. All confirmed except one which told me the reservation was cancelled. A phone call and a couple of emails solved the problem. The lass had misread my email. What a relief.
    Today we caught a bus up to Wanlockhead, the highest village in the UK. It was the centre of lead mining in this area. Everything was closed on Mondays.
    The walk to the pick-up point at Overfingland crossed the highest point in the walk at 725 m. Mountains between 2000-3000 are Donald's. Above 3000m they are referred to as Munros. What followed was a series of steep ascents/descents as we made our way across the moorland. Good track for 2/3rds then some bog. Quite manageable.
    Weather was fine with a brisk, cool breeze. Good for walking.
    Ran, the owner of Hopetoun Arms Hotel in Leadhills, picked us up and drove us back to the hotel. The highest in Scotland.
    Didn't take many photos today as it was of moorlands and the camera does not do justice to this type of scenery.
    The ball on the top of the hill is a radar station.
    Read more