Satellite
  • Day 33

    Mount Gambier, SA

    January 15, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Mt Gambier has over 50 sinkholes in/and around the area...this wasn't on our original itinerary but as I love a sinkhole so decided to visit!
    Arrived mid-morning and hit the ground running as we were only here for a day and a night...first stop - The Blue Lake -WOW 😳 its a dormant volcanic crater that is filled with water...it is massive and is usually a grey colour but from Nov -Apr each year, the water turns a vibrant blue! A strange blue...like a dark aqua maybe? We walked the 5km track around the crater to see the different aspects. No swimming here as they still don't know why it's turns blue each year and they don't want to upset the ecosystem.
    Next stop - Little Blue Lake...a sinkhole filled with water and suitable for swimming in! Yay! The water was amazing. We jumped in off the smaller side...this wasn't as blue as the Blue Lake but a lovely swim.
    Next stop - checked out the towns pubs etc. Beautiful old sandstone homes surrounded by gorgeous rose gardens. And I have been stopping to smell them 😁
    Had dinner (seafood platter for $59!!) at Mt Gambier Hotel - then headed off to see another couple of sinkholes...one had a stunning tiered garden in it and the other had light show and a cultural narration.
    So all in all, we were happy we made the side trip here as there's lots to see and do 😍
    Read more