Satellite
  • Day 25

    Western WY

    September 17, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 61 °F

    Did I mention the wind? Getting used to it now and has certainly increased my strength and confidence on the bike. Got to ride some more gravel which led me to a campsite on a reservoir where I was seemingly the only person in the county. After 30 mph winds calmed down for a pleasant dinner, at 9:30 PM winds kicked up to about 50 mph out of nowhere, filling my tent and sleeping bag with sand. And blowing my stuff halfway across Wyoming. I made the decision to take shelter in a pit toilet. Less than ideal sleep that night…Jammed an empty toilet paper roll in the door for some ventilation. Freezing cold sleeping in my camp chair with a sleeping bag draped over me.

    Hopped back on the bike and headed out for Dubois deep up a valley at the foot of the mountains- everything looks like Arizona desert mountains on the Eastern slope in this rain shadow of the Rockies. Another day of winds gusting up to 47 mph by the end of the ride, alongside the Windriver Reservation where Native Americans have been shoved onto resourceless, infertile wasteland…Enjoyed sharing lunch with some local folks and hearing about their lives.

    Pushed on through a 55 mile day and pulled into Dubois for a great night of food, beer, and new friends. Gained some good elevation and am ready to cross through the Togwatee pass over the Rockies down into Jackson Hole tomorrow. Game on
    Read more