Satellite
  • Day 29

    Durban,South Africa

    April 13, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Durban, South Africa.

    On a perfect afternoon we arrived into Durban ,a harbour of great proportions ,in that it has 58 berths ,one of the biggest we have seen, with ships of all kinds .A huge MSC of 5000+ passengers manoeuvring past us ,at very close range, Sam reckoned 100mtrs, made some great viewing.! Very hot ,clear skies ,sunny.
    Our show, the first night ,was the local Zulu Dancers ,a great mix of enthusiastic performers ,some large girls, who were very agile , in pretty beaded costumes .A Taste of Africa.
    Saturday, a City Tour, which included lots of very troubled history, of almost unbelievable, demeaning, times ,sadly it’s all true ,a lot to understand, going back many years .Our Zulu guide ,very learned. A city of completely African people ,nobody else to be seen .It seems the inner city is used for markets ,lots of people with their wares ,just spread on the streets , people from the townships come in for shopping ,in mini bus taxis who all vie for the customers ,and it becomes a bit of a war, with bad driving…They polish them greatly, while waiting .
    We went to an Indian Market, that had security, and looked at lots of spices and various wares ,briefly ..A very nice centre square, with older stately buildings ,one a replica of Northern Irelands Belfast city building. Beautiful trees, one in particular with long tracts of orange berries, I need to identify. The Botanical Gardens are very special, huge old trees of all kinds ,so shady and cool ,a calla type lily of many colours, a shade house of gorgeous orchids, unusual ducks/geese, other birds . Many Families ,with children’s Birthday parties ,some white South Africans. One Family with Triplets ,little girls, so dark and simply delightful ,with African names ,for Love, Joy ,and Hope .A very proud Mother ,who , when I said “This must be a challenge…”,said..”Actually it feels insane at times…!”They were about 2.!
    Huge Sports Stadiums. Soccer, and Political meetings for the largest one, beside it Kings Park, playing that night, the Sharks and the Jaguares . The hills above, with large homes ,were all protected by electric fences. The nearby University has recently adopted Free Fees for students ,so those from outlying areas come , it seems such a great thing. Steve Biko University ,is a very large Campus.
    Huge poverty in this part of the world ,and I think you can understand when there are about 55 million people ,and only 4 million pay tax, that it cannot work. To pay tax you must earn 65000 Rd, and that is not great… So in nutshell, with 43 Parties in a coming election, making a difference ,will be a challenge. We saw some sad things ,the Market for the Herbs and Potions ,of shacks and shanties, many of the Indigenous people are healthy looking souls…one cannot change the world, especially this world…!
    Today we ventured into the Hinterland, with much delight, to see the rolling hills, thickly covered in vegetation , beautiful flowering trees, of bright pinks ,purple and orange in full bloom. So green and lush, some large and lovely homes .The Townships ,very large where the African people live, basic shanty type dwellings, water at a given point, to be carried, but no electricity, because they say, they cannot/will not pay ,so on it goes… Trying to make a difference apparently, schools being built etc… There are many more successful people , who live in good housing ,and are running the country ,of course. It is hard to put it all together really…A tangled web…
    They grow lots of eucalyptus trees, very successfully, in this excellent growing climate, chip them ,export to be made into chip board ,and imported back…We may well do the same…
    Our Journey was to The Valley of 1000 Hills ,we arrived early to our Native Village ,high on a hill over looking this simply beautiful spectacle, clear for a time, to see it in all its glory, what a beautiful place…The native huts with the amazing thatch ..a little lady lived in one, tucked away ,and was cooking raw chicken and other meat, over a very smoky , outdoor fire, with her bedding on the ground, behind her..!
    Dancing from the Zulu tribe ,and explanation of customs ,like polygamy ,the Chiefs and the King, have many wives ,and that is fine, but they are paid for in cows, cows cost a lot, so most people only have 2 or 3 wives ,hence many children to carry on the Families…They are very proud of this tradition. There is a fortune teller who makes sure the right Bride is found, they train for many years to perfect this skill..[Really].. A nice café and souvenir shop ,so I have lovely pictures..
    Later Crocodiles, many in tangled heaps, some huge ,some tiny, separate, many pens, yuk…when our lovely girl told us they incubate the eggs, for safety, I had to ask “How many do you want.!! She replied we sell them to the Farmers…. Then snakes of all kinds, the tiniest ones the most deadly ,some Tortoises ,[Humphreys relations Jo.]. and then the bigger ,roaming kinds, never sure what is what…in that field…
    So much to recall, and you will have given up reading, but we loved our day, learning so much about South Africa..as we go…Sam has loved the Harbour ,and all the comings and goings of ships from all over the world, to think we saw not one, all that way across the Indian Ocean ,and now, hundreds.!
    We have many new faces, and are sailing South ,to East London. It’s a bit of a bumpy ride, after weeks of calm…but nothing too untoward.
    I am a lot better ,still coughing ,a bit, but rigidly sticking to my medication and instructions… Bye from us , on a Safari tomorrow…!
    I have more pictures to share...
    Read more