Satellite
  • Day 33

    Port Elizabeth,South Africa

    April 17, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Port Elizabeth ,South Africa.

    Today’s Port of Call was Port Elizabeth, not named for royalty, though they did visit ,years ago.This was for the 28 year old wife of an Indian Trader ,cherished ,who left a 7 mth old son, her husband built a pyramid in her honor, on the hill overlooking the Harbour..
    Manganese is an export of this community ,amongst other commodities ,changing over time, apples and fruit a great export of the past, ostrich plumes were a also exported in times past to Paris.. Coal, which is still a large earner, alongside Australia who also export millions of tons a year ,more than you would ever imagine..! A new Port has been built nearby, so progress is looking hopeful.
    This was a tidy place, they picked up any rubbish, people earning a small amount to do so, armed with a broom with hardly any bristles and a stick with nail, one had an old golf club, they gathered every shred…plastic bags the lot, so an older ,not pretty place, but clean, not like Durban where they sit amongst the rubbish…
    Lots of children in different school uniforms, so education for some is prospering ,African children and white. White women shopping, alone ,unseen in Durban. Only a small number of Africans sitting in the Town Square, although unemployment is huge, in these parts . Homes on a grand scale ,in leafy streets, heavily fortified.
    Large impressive boys school ,with beautiful grounds, swimming pools and rugby fields. Several good girls schools as well… Manicured .They are no longer Private schools, but seem to retain their traditions..Good Hospitals, Private ,the Health system in South Africa was second to none ,as we know from the first Heart Transplant, but now in tatters, sadly. Many solid homes in other areas, duplex with small gardens ,for African Families. Massive Soccer Stadium ,to accommodate the World Cup, would have cost millions..
    This was the region of the Boer Wars , a lovely memorial to the Horses of that, interesting analogy ,in so much cruelty..ours not to reason why…!
    Nelson Mandela was very prominent in these parts, his home and burial place ,was a long day trip ,in East London ,our last Port ,statues of him feature in Port Elizabeth ,one particularly nice, from younger days. Interesting to hear he was so well regarded by all, but he was in such demand, world wide, during his time as President, and left whom he thought to be his close allies ,running the country, sadly, they were not as honest as he hoped…From there a lot more troubles began..
    Apparently he said, as he walked from the prison, after all those years, he thought, I have to leave this all the bitterness behind me, otherwise I will be imprisoned forever…how wise he was..! Lets hope his dreams can be realised, although that is doubtful ,now it is White South Africa that is suffering and leaving in droves ,able to understand that so much more..
    Our guide was a German man, though he had lived in the County a long time, very hard to understand, and a bit boring, really ,they make or break the trips.,but always something to learn in a new place..
    During the morning we took at shuttle to the Beach/Boardwalk part, a small market and restaurants ,but nothing interesting. It is Autumn here, as for us, so a little cooler, as we head for Cape town..
    I don’t ever write as I go Raewyn,I do compose a bit in my head ,that I want to remember to tell you. When I get back, sometimes, I jot a few things down, but at a good time, I can sit and recall a lot, and just write ,reliving the day ,it doesn’t take long ,and something I so like to do…!
    Our new Knitting Group began today, hats for Senagal ,is the task, but I have also begun a shawl/scarf, for Mum, its complicated, you begin in one corner…so lots of increasing, an American pattern that uses very different terms, so I am into that, and actually enjoying knitting again…will find wool, hopefully, tomorrow ,for the Baby Hats..
    Had our Port Talk for Cape town, it looks and sound very special…
    Our seas are once again inhabited by many birds ,an albatross earlier, and many shearwaters, further North not a bird to be seen in Madagascar, not one gull ,the naturalist reckoned the eggs would be gathered and consumed, probably correct, you have to eat…
    Our time simply fly's, a month already..!
    Enjoy the Easter Break ,Love from us
    Read more