Satellite
  • Day 35

    Cape Town South Africa

    April 19, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Cape Town , Day 2.

    Our second day in Cape Town involved a trip to see the Country surrounding, with much anticipation. Wine Tasting…and a visit to the beautiful town of Stellenbosch.
    Travelling from the city , in the early morning, we came upon the biggest and most desperate “Townships “ seen so far, tiny corrugated huts ,touching together ,crammed into huge areas on both sides of the highway, our impressions of Cape Town rather dashed…
    A sprinkling of very small tracts, with some very small “proper houses”, some older dwellings later, that had scattered poles for electricity ,most have nothing in the way of sanitation ,electricity or services of any kind..Stunned silence from us all really, the Guide trying to say better housing is being provided, slowly… Then saying in the next breath, they have rolling electricity blackouts, as they cannot generate enough power for the population… A large coal fired power station ,seemed to be sitting idle, and it wont be to preserve the environment, I’m sure…they have coal resources ,as previously mentioned, which they export. Very sobering viewing.
    Onward through beautiful countryside, vineyards abound ,and strawberries grown in abundance, on raised polythene beds. Healthy cattle in places ,green fields ,good to see, as they have had a huge water shortage , Cape Town was recently 19 days away from total shutdown.
    The Vineyards, on a large scale here, that have origins in the 1600’s, the vines russet with the beginning of Autumn. Backdrop of beautiful rugged mountains, such a picture.! Many Golf courses ,pristine, and un used on Good Friday. Some surrounded by gated communities with nice homes.
    Blaau Wklippen Winery, was down an avenue of Oaks, with the old Cape buildings , whitewashed ,and thatched, with tiled floors, dark and cool. They are a venue for functions, so a huge complex. Taken on the tour, all very interesting, they made many kinds of wine ,in one part, a darkened storage room, told they leave the spiders ,to kill the insects, many webs to be seen, did a quick detour on that one..I had already been scouting in case…!]
    All seated in a nice part ,with our glasses at the ready, spittoons, well not really, casks to receive what you didn’t like, an that was everything, except the Sparkling Rose’, and even then, not a patch on ours ,very acidic wines, it seemed ,quite a lot in the buckets from our 40 + group.. Our guide, an African man, named Shepherd was lovely, interesting, and had worked there for many years. Lastly they produced Brandy ,18 years in the making ,and a Brandy based liqueur ,so a purchase was made ,for when the neighbours come…It was really nice…
    Out into the grounds , a part with nice goats, well cared for and many of them ,so clever, waiting in case I may let them out, then watching carefully as the leaves fluttered from the trees in the breeze. Goats are very clever ,and it shows..have Kindergartens with one or two on duty…
    On to Stellenbosch , the day was clear, warm ,with brilliant blue skies, this smaller University Town is very old, so more of the thatch and whitewash, a picture around every corner. Sadly, all except Cafes closed , so nose pressed to the window, to see all the lovely things I could not have…! We had a good hour and a half ,to walk and see lots, very pretty place.
    Very mixed feelings of South Africa ,such a beautiful place in many respects, but a very troubled ,un equal society, but so glad we were fortunate to see all there was see.
    Today we have been into Lüderitz, Namibia, all be ready for Immigration to come aboard, at an early hour ,and no, windy ,so not able to use the tenders to go ashore ,waves mounting ,so we left ,for a day at sea.. We are in a strong wind with a following sea ,so its comfortable, to increase as the day passes. Back to the knitters.
    Had a Crayfish Salad Lunch ,Poolside ,with Margaritas ,to compensate ,and last night ,when we came down ,the Easter Bunny has been, leaving lovely things…
    New and interesting places ahead… Bye from us, far away on the West Coast of Africa.
    Read more