Satellite
  • Day 8

    Kayaking to Zlarin Island

    June 29, 2017 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    Today we drove about an hour south to the open sea side of Šibenik, where we picked up kayaks and paddled about 45 minutes to a small car-free island. The water was clear blue-green, and the wind and current were very light, making for easy going. On the mainland side we could see a 14th century fortress for guarding the Šibenik harbor and city from the Turks. We beached the kayaks at a cove on Zlarin island and Micha left us to swim while he went off to organize lunch plans. When he returned, he'd brought fruit and a really unique chocolate bar--filled with something creamy and something crunchy. Micha was often surprising us with little touches like that--a special food or viewpoint. We then strolled around the narrow village walkways together. We passed the large estate of the inventor of the Mag-lite, and shopped for coral jewelry (earrings for Diane). Only five people are licensed to collect coral and only in a specified area off the coast.

    Lunch was at an old olive-pressing tavern, which still had the wooden presses for us to see. We were served whole grilled Dorado whitefish (really moist!) and sheep cheese from the island of Pag, which tasted a lot like Manchego. No grappa this time (thankfully), but really good iced tea and some local white wine.
    Read more