Satellite
  • Day 17

    Biking to Vintgar Gorge and villages

    July 8, 2017 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    We were surprised to find that our Pension Berc (highly recommended, if visiting Bled) offers the use of free electric bikes. We used these in the morning to avoid what we'd heard would be big crowds at Vintgar Gorge. We did miss some of the hordes and would have missed more if we hadn't gotten a little lost on the way. Well, I guess you could say Diane lost Darryl and spent time riding in circles and gesturing to villagers instead of continuing to the gorge straightaway where he was waiting. Oh well. The turquoise river and falls are definitely worth it, although some of the Oregon rivers and falls come close (and don't have tour buses).

    We didn't actually use the power-assist that much, as the roads weren't that steep most of the time. But as we got lost with more frequency on our continued ride around the countryside, it was nice to know we could have help going back up that lovely downhill we'd just taken that wasn't the right way. All told, we covered about 20 miles and a dozen small villages, all while traveling through green, green farmlands and a quiet, wooded trail along the river, with a bonus waterfall thrown in. We got some nice views of Lake Bled again as we passed by on our route to the lower valley.

    Dinner was at a Chinese restaurant, just for a break from figuring out menu items and to get more vegetables. Then we got in a game of mini-golf where Diane won almost every hole, with 2 holes in one -- what a switch.
    Read more