Satellite
  • Day 19

    Into the Triglav National Park

    July 10, 2017 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 81 °F

    Triglav is Slovenia's only national park, and we drove here to see Mostnica Gorge and Lake Bohinj. An 8-mile out-and-back hike took us through more wildflower-filled meadows and along the deeply-carved river gorge. It reminded us of a hike we took with Ryan at Glacier National Park or the slot canyons in the southwest, but this was filled with green-blue water.

    This gorge is a bit more remote and was not overrun with tourists. The lake we'd come to see, however, was tourist-filled, and strangely had trees blocking the view of the lake all along the road, and what little parking there was, was expensive. We did find a nice place to stop for a brief picnic and view of the lake, but we were soon sent on our way by a friendly policeman who said we couldn't park where we had stopped.

    In the countries we've visited on this trip, we've noticed a different concept of support for parks and environmental sites. Instead of paying a one-time entrance fee, you pay to park at each parking lot separately, and at each trailhead.

    We returned to our own Lake Bled and took the e-bikes around the lake to a swimming spot (where we didn't have to worry about parking).
    Read more