Satellite
  • Day 10

    Wind, Waterfalls, Wanaka

    February 11, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 72 °F

    Leaving behind our gracious hosts, Ann and Gerry, we shuttled a half hour down the road to the town of Haast, where we set out on our bikes. One of our solo travelers, Scott, was greeted with a decorated birthday bike by the crew! The ride began inauspiciously, with high winds blowing fine dust across the flat Haast River Plain. Not only did it feel like we were climbing a hill for 2 miles on the flat, our teeth were gritty with dust. Glasses were a must!

    Eventually, we made it into the Mt Aspiring National Park -- a forested area that was more protected from the wind. Still following the aqua-colored river, we were treated to the most spectacular scenery. River and river valley on one side, craggy mountains behind it, lower mountains on our other side, and waterfalls of all sizes and shapes every few kilometers. Only moderate ups and downs on that 28-mile stretch, so very pleasant. The lunch stop at a roadside picnic area was quick, as the sandflies were biting. We jumped in the van for a 30-minute ride over the Haast pass (thank you!), in part because of the 1,850-foot elevation, and also because it would be very hazardous road riding.

    Back on our bikes, we took the last 16 miles up over steeper rolling hills (6-7% grade at times). It was challenging, but the stunning scenery made it so much easier. It was our longest biking day but our favorite day of riding, we think because of the expansive views, and frequent waterfalls. The biking ended just before we could be rewarded with the lovely downhill ahead. We drove the rest of the way because traffic was increasing as we began to enter the lake town of Wanaka.

    Not only is Wanaka always a popular destination in the summer (think Tahoe), but visitors are also arriving for 'Challenge Wanaka' -- New Zealand's largest triathlon festival. Our hotel is on the edge of the lake, about a 25-minute walk from town, so we are out of the fray, but close enough to enjoy it. Dinner at the hotel with our gang was fine dining in a beautiful setting.
    Read more