Satellite
  • Day 54

    Mt Cook to Lake Tekapo

    December 13, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    The weather forecast was right during the night it started raining and all taller mountains hid under big clouds. Gone‘s the beautiful view. So far we didn’t get surprised by a rain shower. The weather forecast‘s quite accurate.

    Despite the bad weather we decided to still do another smaller walk. But first coffee ☕️😄 we got some at a cafe in the village.

    Today we wanted to see the Tasman Glacier. The biggest one with over 20km length in the Southern Alps. If we‘re lucky we can also see some ice bergs in the lake. It rained... we weren’t to keen on getting outside 😬 luckily it‘s just a 15-20min walk with lots of stairs. Originally we thought of doing a boat tour on the Tasman lake, so we could have a closer encounter with the icebergs, but as smaller kids weren’t allowed we skipped it. When we were at the viewpoint we were: Puh, luckily we didn’t do that tour, as there were just only a handful of smaller ice bergs.

    Matilda climbed on all the rocks and stones and was just happy 😌 (we should consider climbing, when we‘re back home), while Thomas took pictures and I walked up and down, as Greta was sleeping in the carrier.

    On our way from Mt Cook to Lake Tekapo we passed by Lake Pukaki again. And the lake was bluer than before. It looked like being in the Caribbean.

    In Lake Tekapo we headed straight to the only campsite and were shocked by how many people queued at the reception! We just crossed fingers to get a space for tonight. This was the only time where we thought: we should have booked in advanced 🙈 But all good. We got our powered site.
    Read more