Satellite
  • Day 13

    Ziplines and 4 by 4's

    August 8, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    First day in Whistler. Breakfast in hotel was decent continental - cereals, toast, cheese, meats etc. We went down at about 8am as we were on a Zipwire tour at 10am, needing to check in at 9.45. We got to the Adventure Group office about 9.30 and filled in the normal waiver forms, then went next door to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Company. They did some great stuff and this visit we got some fudge to take with us while zipping. Just before 9 we were taken to the bus station and got on the bus up to Cougar Mountain about 10 minutes drive away.

    Sam's fear of heights precluded her so she had the morning looking round the shops. At base camp there were toilets, a cafe and changing rooms etc for various different activities. We had to travel further up the mountain and went in 4 seater versions of the off road vehicles we will be driving this afternoon. Our guides (one from Oxford who's dad sets papers for the university medicine exams!) gave us a demo of the zipline operation on a really short stretch.

    Got normal cycling helmets on - had to wear full face ones on 4 by 4, managed not to roll my ears down. I went first paired with Hong Kong guy. Some photos taken on release then was 200m above valley below. Real sense of flying. This was highest of 4 zip lines. Landing position was important, legs apart to avoid hitting wire when swung up. Spring mechanism stopped you very ingenious. Thought was being pinged back into middle but rope stopped you - phew. Tash and Ed went down second pair - was two lines so two at time. They loved it. American dad heavier than me and needed whole spring to stop, to delight of his teenage boys.

    One guy from previous group getting plaster on cut leg. Hadn't landed properly I think. Was a Brit and very much of the just a flesh wound mindset.

    Second line was longest 1.3km rather than 1.2 of first. Ran parallel to mountainside with shallower slower finish. Had to look for model snowman stuck to cliff side. Had been repestedly stolen and put in more extreme spots till someone stuck him half way up a mountain. Was another great ride.

    Third zip fastest, steep drop at start so hit max speed at 4 seconds rather than 10 or 15 on others. Drop did make you gasp at start but was great again. Kids loved it. This crossed us back to Cougar mountain again. In winter they have to clear snow from in front of the drop to stop people zipping through it. They zipline all year round.

    4th zip went back to base. Wires were close so could hold hands. Suggested one of kids went with me to get more speed joined together holding hands but they decided to go together and did manage to hold each other's hands as man pulled them together before release.

    At base derigged then just caught bus back. No time to check photos but could do that when up later for rzr. Met Sam back in town after bus back and got burgers and chips from kiosk. Tash wanted gravy with chips we shared, was really good, really meaty! Then went to some shops, Ed and I went to a toy shop to see if they had funko pops no was the answer.

    Back to Adventure Group, more waivers and bus trip to Cougar Mountain. Got full face helmets again and goggles, needed for dust.

    Emma our guide explained controls and did safety briefing. Basically automatic with brake and accelerator. Pump brake best. Big grippy tyres so no drifting. Keep about a rzr distance behind one in front. And we were off. Lots of power and bumpy rocky roads meant jerky ride. Probably worse for passenger than driver. I had Tash, Ed went with Sam as she was bit nervous and he is calming. Turns out his main calming words were let's go faster! Holding up a hand meant slow down. After about 10 minutes we stopped to see if everyone was ok. We were in last rzr of 4 plus Emma at front. Didn't hit brake quickly eniugh and ran into back of chap in front oops. No damage done it seemed and we were off again.

    The dust from the track was massive. At times could just see lights on rzr ahead to follow at times we couldn't even see that, and hoped we were going the right way. Couple of times thought we had missed a turning, but we did ok. Grip and power of the things was great and could climb over any obstacles. We stopped at high point for some photos and swapped order so we were first. Sam and Ed moved from second to third. Following Emma was much better, less dust and more confidence she wasn't going to stop suddenly unlike single guy we had been following.

    We went down some narrow paths along mountainside with water running across in channels, great for powering though and creating big splash. All too soon headed downhill to base and our 75 minutes was up.

    Changed back, went and got photos from morning then back on bus to town. Tash and I went to supermarket for drinks and forgot we had no room key. Receptionist looked at us like we were tramps then asked if we had been doing rzr. We had all been covered in so much dust was very funny. Sam especially looked crazy.

    Showered and changed we went to Araxi restaurant. Specialising in fish. Was a smart place and we all enjoyed it. I had 5 oysters as starter each one with different accompaniment and much cheaper than in UK. Ed said best kids menu ever, vegetable sushi starter and fish and chips main. Skipped dessert and went to chocolate shop for ice creams. Sam bought a bag and we turned in.
    Read more