Satellite
  • Day 15

    Jet boating and peak to peak gondola

    August 10, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We had a more leisurely lay in this morning and went down to breakfast about 9. Was busier. Whistler is definietly a later place, mornings and evenings. Once back from breakfast we decided to head to Pemberton, half hour up the road and about 10 minutes from jet boat meeting point. Got there and called into visitor info who showed us where some coffee shops were and where jet boating was. Filled with petrol then parked next to station. Town looked like proper western style town. There was a pharmacy so went in to get something for Ed who was complaining of sore ear and Tash with sore chest. Ended up with cerumol and benylin.

    Then went to diner. Sam and I had coffees, Tash and Ed milkshakes, chocolate and vanilla. Ed declared this the best shake he had ever had. Hi praise indeed for a traditional little diner in small town.

    Was just after 11 and so we headed to the golf club where jet boat meeting point was. Got there and were directed to side where jetty was. Boat was just returning from previous trip so,we hung around. Eric the owner got us to fill in waiver forms again and the other passengers arrived. A couple who had stayed with him in his B and B for couple of nights and a man from Denmark.

    We got into life jackets then into the boat. Couple in the front then us on either side of aisle and Danish man on back bench as ballast!

    We were off and Eric did some swooping cornering in typical jet boat style. We headed to the confluence of two rivers, one glacial, the Green and one not, much browner. Where they met was obvious, brown water and green water. We then headed back up river to the starting point and beyond. We stopped at a good point to view the biggest peak in the area and one prone to rockslides, there had been one about half hour before. Then we carried on and the water began to get a bit choppier. We saw a golden eagle nest st the top of a tree, no sign of the eagle. We stopped again before the steepest rapids up to the Nairn Falls. Eric explained would be choppier coming back down as travelling faster with the flow and against the waves that broke upstream not downstream.

    This section was great fun. Not quite as extreme as the Taupo rapids jet but over a longer stretch. We got to just below the falls and stopped for some photos, then back down, again great fun and Ed got very wet! Good job temp was in 30s again. We slowed to look st an osprey, first I'd ever seen. The same pair had been coming back to the same tree for 8 years. Spend winter in South America. Saw a mother deer and two fawns briefly before they went back into the trees. A pair of ducks were spooked by the jet boat and flew alongside it for a few hundred metres.

    We saw a beaver dam up a creek. They dam the inlets not the main river. Keeps them secure having lodge entrance below water. They control height of water by adjusting the dam so entrance is under but living area above water. Saw lots of trees chewed by beavers. They really do chew through big trees to get to the leaves at the top which they store in the lodge to eat in winter. They are nocturnal so rarely seen.

    Also saw a heron flying along the river. All too soon back at start, our hour was up. Ed wanted to play the putting green golf there but we needed to get off to have time to do the gondolas. He got bit grumpy. Parked back at hotel and went straight to Whistler village gondola. This took 25 minutes to go up to near the summit of Whistler mountain. Much of it was going across as well as up. At top was cafe and had some lunch then walked 200m or so down hill to chairlift that went to the summit. This lift was quite exposed and went over some big drops. Sam really didn't like it but made it to the top. We walked to the summit marker and took some pictures. A large Asian group were flying a drone to take a better picture of themselves. Were soon told to stop by member of staff. At the top we were largely above the smoke so though couldn't see all way down had good view of surrounding peaks. All these lifts took bikes as well as people as loads of mountain biking courses off the mountains, something for another visit. There was a glacier at the top here and still some large chunks of snow at the side of the path. Kids made a snowball each in August!

    Back down on chairlift was as scary for Sam but we made it. Then had to walk back to base station, largely uphill. Kids had taken free walking poles on way down and Sam used these as well as Ed. Ed complained a lot, he does need to get fitter but we all made it. Then onto peak to peak gondola, going across valley to Blackcomb mountain from Whistler. Was impressive structure. Had green screen pics taken for superimposed pictures. Large queue for glass bottomed gondolas, only 2 of them, We obviously didn't want one so walked straight in. Could hold about 20 people but only 8 in our one. Was 400m above valley floor, highest in world. Got to other side, took some pics, bought our green screen pics then headed down solar express chairlift down Blackcomb. Had to change lift 2/3 of way down, then we were at bottom. Been up about 2.5 hours. At bottom was Funzone with Mario mini golf. We had a round, I won, Ed second then Sam then Tash. Ed wanted to do a jump from about 15 feet into big pillow so got tickets. Some aussies were doing it, when Ed got to top realised it was quite high and couldn't jump, but then with much encouragement from us and Aussie group he did it. Then tried again but couldn't. I was called on and just went for it, worst thing is to stop and think I find. Wasn't really my cup of tea but got to put on brave face so as to encourage kids! He did it again rwice with Tash's help, very brave of him. Couple of the Aussies girls had struggled to do it, giving their friend with the camera lots of great shots - he was keeping that sim card as he put it!

    Then had drink in pub where Tash managed to push a stool down some stairs when we left. About 10 minute walk across to main Whistler village from here, past area where bike teams were setting up for crank works tournament at the weekend. Had Domino's again. Tash and I collected and got cool as moose t shirts on way. Packed car largely as early start tomorrow for ferry..
    Read more