Satellite
  • Day 17

    Edina and first serious rain!

    August 12, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Leisurely wake up this morning as no rushing out anywhere. We went down to breakfast in hotel about 9. Was ok but service patchy again, no water offered or juice for kids. Was buffet but with no cereal so quite limited choice. Decided we wouldn't have it next day. Got back to room and as Edina was due between 11 and 12 Ed and I decided to go to Little Beach to do some exploring. Was only 5 minutes drive away, only had 5 parking spots. One other couple there. Very enclosed beach with barely any waves. Nice sand but with some rocks on either side. Ed went straight for climbing and we explored around them. He built a circle of stones on a grassy patch on top of rocks as a seating area. We had to keep climbing down to get rocks then back up. We then went further across the rocks to a smaller side beach, then headed back. Got call Edina had arrived so we went back.

    Edina not changed at all. Ed had no memory of her but she loved seeing him again and indeed all of us. Jack her new husband was very nice too. We chatted for an hour or so in the room then headed out for some lunch. Ed had remembered the name and location of a place recommended by the hotel man last night and navigated us there. Just got in in time before waiting list started. Was good food, I had lasagne, but was very big portion, couldn't finish it all.

    After lunch we headed to Wickmanninish beach, again recommended as great for surfing on and with neat First Nation interpretative visitor centre alongside. It was actually quite overcast and cold on the beach. I helped Ed build a circle of driftwood while Sam chatted with Edina. Ed also went in the sea for a little paddle with Tash. After nearly an hour or so we were all getting cold, except Ed who wanted to do more building. We went back to car to drive to interpretative centre and Edina and Jack headed off - they had about a three hour drive back. Was great to see them again and we promised we would meet up sooner than 8 years. Have what's app group set up with her and email addresses swapped now.

    We went to museum. Was nice little place, telling stories of First Nation old life, they hunted whales but only from necessity and were almost sorry they had to do it and made sure they used every bit. There was lots of info on whales and other animals in the area. Ed slowly cheered up from not being able to stay longer on the beach. Back in car we went back to town to gift shop and gallery we had seen next to lunch place. Had lots of nice stuff. We resisted two great sunset pictures as didn't think they would travel home well. Started to rain while we were in there and was the biggest rain we had seen, very heavy. Headed back to room and I wanted to go do the Ligthouse Loop of Pacific Rim trail. About 2km and supposed to be very pretty. It was pouring so no one else was keen so I went on my own, it was either do it now in rain or not have another chance. Was about 10 minute drive to car park. I started trail and although in trees was still very wet. Only saw 6 other people at start of trail and was only car in car park when I got back. Can imagine it is very busy on hot day. Was nice walk, largely flat, through old forest then along waters edge, with lots of spectacular rocks and views across inlets. Saw lighthouse. Strange whale like sound that kept going turned out to be siren on a buoy active in bad weather. Could hear it all night in hotel. I took lots of pictures and coat kept me dry, top half at least. Took me about an hour to do trail. Lots of side trails lead short paths to benches to sit on and look at view. Was a bit spooky out there on my own, kept thinking might encounter an animal if some sort! Went home via Co-op in town, called to see what others wanted to eat and bought some turkey, bread, crisps etc and we had a picnic in the rooms, very nice. Went to bed still raining, first real rain we had seen in our whole time here.
    Read more