Satellite
  • Day 68

    More tests

    July 13, 2015 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We grabbed a tuktuk to take us to the doctors (2S) for a load of tests at 8am. The testing man spoke no English and spoke at a dozen miles an hour so we had no clue what was going on for most of it. I'm not a great fan of needles but survived the blood sample with no problems. However when he started poking a needle in my ear I went all dizzy and faint and had to be brought round with some smelly stuff. We googled it and think he was doing a coagulation test!

    Then a nurse gave me an ECG which consisted of clamps around my ankles and wrists and a load of suckers on my chest - I looked like I'd been attacked by an octopus afterwards!!

    We headed back for breakfast and an hour or so later went back for the test results. I was sent off with another prescription for yet more drugs - which were hard to find and expensive - £40 for 4! We got them home and realised they were vials that needed to be injected! We had no idea if we were expected to inject them so rang Anna's mum (ex-midwife) to be talked through it... then wussed out and went back to the doctors for the third time and they stabbed me in the bum for 2S (40p) leaving a nice bruise.

    We sat outside our hut reading for a while. Hummingbirds came to feed on the cactus flowers out the front and huge birds circled overhead - I think they were vultures eyeing me up!

    Late afternoon, when the sun had cooled slightly, we lay on the beach and then watched the sunset.

    We went to Angela's, a veggie restaurant for dinner (50S). I had falafel (no wrap but strangely filling) and real ginger tea whilst Anna had a spinach and cheese pastry. I was impressed, she wasn't!
    Read more