Satellite
  • Day 139

    Ojo de Agua

    September 22, 2015 in Nicaragua ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    We went back to the veggie cafe for breakfast (the hotel's menu wasn't very inspiring and there's not a lot of other options) (340C). We both ordered some granola, yoghurt and fruit. The lady came out with a huge plate of fruit which we assumed was to share but no, we got one each! Absolutely masses of it! She also gave Anna some turbo-strength coffee (Nicaraguan is best coffee yet) and me a huge jug of passion fruit juice. We couldn't manage even half of the fruit so she wrapped it up and we ate it for lunch.

    After a rest for our fruit-laden bellies we walked half an hour up the paved single road that runs around the edge of the island. We arrived at Ojo de Agua (eye of water; 80C) which is a natural swimming pool fed by a cold underground river from one of the volcanoes. It's a beautiful place to just chill with a coconut...the weather was a bit overcast so it wasn't the lazing in the sun kind of day we'd hoped for but a Tarzan swing and a slack line made it great fun. The place was pretty deserted for most of the time. We also saw some petroglyphs (stone carvings) which the island is famous for.

    As we walked back, we noticed the volcano was surrounded by a 'cloud hat', which we'd also seen in Arenal - must be a volcano thing! The sunset was beautiful and then as it got dark we saw some bats, a squashed frog, a squashed snake and then a load of awesome green fireflies dancing all around us! Some of them stayed still and you could see them right up close flashing intermittently.

    We had dinner at the same place. I had the humus which wasn't as good as the previous night. Anna had grilled aubergine with roasted tomatoes which was amazing, one of her favourite meals ever! We shall try and recreate it in the chalet. She also had a huge jug of iced coffee which was rocket strength and will likely mean she's bouncing off the walls all night.
    Read more