Satellite
  • Day 162

    On the road again

    October 15, 2015 in Honduras ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    After a welcome break from moving around lots over the last couple of weeks, it was time to get back on the road. We got the 6:30am Viana bus (365L, 3 hrs) to San Pedro Sula. We were given the first class fluffy blankets and I slept the whole way. We put Hannah in a taxi to the airport and waved a sad farewell :(

    Then we got the 10:20am Hedman Alas bus (395L, 3 hrs) to Copan near the border of Guatemala. This is supposed to be the best bus company in Honduras but it was freezing with no blankets, the tv broke and the snack was a pitifully small bag of crisps. Viana was much better, but they don't go to Copan unfortunately. The bus man took a shine to Anna and kept hovering creepily each time he came by.

    On arrival in Copan we were squeezed into a tuktuk for 20L each with another lady and all our bags for the short ride to Hostel Marjenny ($30). We had a brief rest whilst we waited for the rain to stop, Anna had a coffee, and then we went for a wander around Copan. Copan is a pretty, little town with big, coloured cobblestone roads. Surprisingly we didn't see many other tourists but this seems to be the general rule for most of our travels.

    We went back to the room and read for a while before going to British Colonial House for dinner (391L). I had Thai red tofu curry which was delicious and had tons of much needed veggies after the last few nights of stodge. Anna had peanut noodles, which seemed to be lacking any peanuts! When she was about half-way through the mayonnaise noodles, the owner came out with a dish of peanut butter and said he'd just tasted the sauce and realised it was lacking something! It still didn't taste that great once Anna mixed in the PB. He apologised again when we left and said his head chef was in Roatan training new staff.

    We went back to the room and had cold showers (not much fun when the ambient temperature is low - I wore my jumper to dinner). Then we were plunged into darkness when the power cut out about 9pm - presumably for the whole town. Wifi was out as well so after reading a bit by torch light I went to sleep and had a lovely 10 hours sleep. It was raining really heavily every time I woke up.
    Read more