Satellite
  • Day 180

    Coba ruins

    November 2, 2015 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    After a quick breakfast of melon and granola and chatting to D & R, we rushed to the bus station and got there just before a huge queue of people turned up and got our tickets just as the bus was turning up (10:10am; ADO; 66P each way).

    Forty five minutes later, we arrived at the Coba ruins and paid the 64P entry. There are 3 main groups of structures, spread out over about 6km. You can hire bikes or men to cycle you around but we chose to walk. The ruins are set in the jungle, the shade providing welcome relief from the sun but it was still very humid.

    They are a big set of ruins, which are usually overlooked due to the proximity of Tulum and Chichen Itsa. You can climb to the top of the main temple which gives an amazing view of untouched jungle as far as the eye can see. Going down is a bit more scary as the steps are a bit slippery, especially in my worn-out flip flops! Luckily there is a rope to hold onto if needed. Apart from the usual pyramid temples, there is a small ball court, a few short tunnels (one with a tiny bat inside) and some sculptured stones which have mostly faded.

    After 3 hours we were done and went for lunch at the restaurant which is surprisingly reasonably priced. I had quesadillas and Anna had a salad made less healthy by lashings of bacon, cheese and croutons! (180P).

    We got the 3:10pm bus back (there's only one bus back), had an ice cream and washed off the jungle sweat. We had dinner at the same place as last night, looked around the shops and saw some kids dressed up forming a procession behind the ice cream car which was blaring music. Apart from a few small altars here and there, there were no other festivities. Apparently a lot of Tulum’s residents weren't born here so there is less of a family feel which is what the festival is all about.
    Read more