Satellite
  • Day 194

    Mucho tequila

    November 16, 2015 in Mexico ⋅ 🌧 25 °C

    It was still raining when we woke up, very windy, and with a loud thunderstorm thrown in. The whole strip outside the room was flooded (as the part next to it is open to the skies), as was the doorway of the room, despite towels being laid down by the cleaners. The poor cleaners were trying to brush the water away but it kept on coming all morning.

    In a pause of rain we dashed to the market for pancakes and drinks (115P), during which the rain returned with a vengeance. The already wet roads started filling up even more and turned into rivers. We waited a while until it eased up a bit and decided to just get wet - especially Anna whose cheap Antigua brolly wasn't holding out too well. We stocked up on snacks and coco pops in case the deluge continued and went back to the room.

    By about 4pm it had dried up so we went for a lovely walk along the beach before ending up at a bar with brightly-coloured diving tanks for seats. We had a cocktail each (mojito & margarita) for 105P which came with 2 free, large tequilas. Since I don't like tequila Anna gleefully had both. Then she decided she wanted another cocktail - I only managed half of mine before feeling a bit sick so she finished off mine too plus another 2 shots and a taster of 1800 tequila (which is apparently the best, rather than Don Julio which is widely touted as the best). They also sold scorpion tequila where live scorpions are put in a bottle - thankfully she didn't try any of that. The bar lady plied us with free pretzels, tons of popcorn and someone’s unwanted ceviche for Anna so we didn't bother with dinner.

    By 9pm I decided the squiffy one should be taken home as I've never seen her so drunk! The lovely hotel man asked what was wrong as it was taking some effort to get her walking anywhere so I told him ‘mucho tequila’ to which he laughed. After getting her showered and into bed, she threw up a lot, fell over a few times, and then passed out - this from a girl who never acts drunk or throws up from drinking - she's getting old!!!
    Read more