Satellite
  • Day 11

    Whistler Mountain

    April 1, 2015 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    With snowboards under our arm we jumped aboard the Gondola with excitement as we slowly ascended the famous Blackcomb mountain. This journey gave me plenty of time to remember my previous crashes, lack of confidence, and how little 5 year old kids would zoom past me like I was standing still. Suki also helped lighten the mood by saying it would be unfortunate if I was to break my wrists at the start of a 9 month holiday.

    As it came time to strap in, adrenalin started to flood my vains as I started the descent. After a few nervous stacks, I was back on the 'bike' and started enjoying the perfect weather and magnificent views of Whistler Village below. Before lunch we caught the 'peak to peak' gondola joining Blackcomb to Whistler displaying a panoramic view of the mountains as Blake shared his bear stories with the rest of the group.

    After a greasy burger and can of red bull for lunch it was time to up the ante of my skills with my personal snowboard couch Kate coming to the rescue and teaching me the 'toeside falling leaf'. Looking stupid, but feeling a like a pro - I felt I had mastered the technique and was one step closer to becoming a true snowboarder. Big thanks to Suki, Jay, Kate and Blake for hanging out with the new kid on the block.

    With aches and pains and feeling like I had just completed a weeks worth of crossfit classes we headed down the mountain to what was an awesome day, with brilliant weather.

    Back at our accommodation, Kate and Suki whipped up a monster feast of thug kitchen lasagne with ceasar salad and garlic bread. With a handful of beers and countless glasses of red wine - it was a perfect way to finish off our time at Whistler.
    Read more