Satellite
  • Day 82

    Mexico City

    June 11, 2015 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Yesterday we flew into Mexico City from Costa Rica. It was easy to see the brown layer of smog that hovers abive the city. Suki was once again angry that we were only served littled packets of chips on the flight in lieu of a 3 course meal. Have to give the hosties credit for the free pour spirits though. The population of Mexico City is actually greater than the whole population of Australia!

    It was a bit of a hike to get to our airbnb accommodation from the airport by catching the metrobus to Bella Artes then the subway to Villa De Cortes both in peak hour traffic. Exhuasted from travelling all day again (and possibly the effect of pollution and higher altitude) we crash.

    The next morning we meet the coffe shop/airbnb owner 'Chess' and she fills us in on the background of Mexico and advises a few nice places to check out. We knock back a fancy latte from the coffee shop downstairs then set off to Zocola to explore a busy part of the city famous for ancient ruins, catherdrals and large buildings that were starting to sink into the ground! The sidewalk is packed with street vendors selling everything from street food (tacos, fried corn, burritos) to clothes, headphones and sunnies. We are bascially the only tourists we can see and its nice not to be haggled for a change.

    Just before sunset we head in the other direction to Coyoćan where we are met with well manicured gardens in the town squares and watch the locals hang out with their families, friends and pets. We choose a groovy looking student for a couple of beers, burritos and Trav orders a Queso Fundido that came with a pot of fried cheese with sausgage, salsa, tomato and warm soft tortillas to make your own.

    The night is wrapped up with a condensed milk churro and dulce le deche ice cream as we stroll back to the subway. Next stop Cancun!
    Read more