Satellite
  • Day 6

    Car exploration and the C’an Marça Caves

    September 5, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Following a spontaneous Zouk dancing class last night, we pondered on how to spend our time today. Check out was 11am, but the hotel said we could store our luggage and use all the facilities all day which was good. But, after much consideration, we took the plunge and hired a rental car - an experience in itself driving on the wrong side of the road!
    First up was exploring the Dalt Vila - the old town in Ibiza. This medieval fortified city sits proudly at the top of Ibiza town, complete with bastion strong holds, a cathedral, various churches and old medieval buildings.
    We then headed north to Port de Sant Miguel, a lovely picturesque cove away from main tourist hubs and a popular spot for locals. We explored the C’an Marça Caves, used by smugglers to store their tobacco, coffee and alcohol. I wouldn't want to be a smuggler though, they had to crawl through a 40-50cm tall hole for 37 metres to get out in an emergency!
    Unfortunately there was no parking in the main town so we headed back south for lunch, then onto San Raphael to stop past 2 of the island biggest clubs - Amnesia and Privilege. All closed up for the day but Mad got a sneak peek inside before the cleaners caught him. These buildings are absolutely enormous, I couldn't imagine the atmosphere where they're packed out. Mad didn't get to go to a club in the end as it turns out Wednesday night is akin to a Sunday night and the only thing on was a flower power 1960s-1970s music night (personally that sounds much better to me lol), but these clubs down even open until 11.30pm so it would have been too late for our check out the next day.
    We had time for a quick swim before heading to the airport, where we currently lounge waiting for our slightly delayed flight.
    Read more