Satellite
  • Day 100

    Ranch life begins

    August 8, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    I arrived into Merritt and it was HOT!! Nearly at 30 degrees and it was only 11.30am! I was picked up from the bus by one of the other volunteers, and then we had some errands to do before heading to the ranch. They only make a trip into town once every 7-10 days so there was a lot to pick up!

    We made it to the ranch and unloaded the truck while meeting all of the other volunteers. There are 8 of us in total - 3 housekeeping, 2 wranglers and 3 maintenance. I had a quick tour of the ranch (it’s a lot bigger than I had thought!) and then it was time for dinner. All of the volunteers take turn in cooking for everyone which is nice!

    The ranch itself is a private cowboy and county club so there are privately owned residential properties on site, as well as the main communal buildings. There’s a saloon, movie theatre, gym, pool and the main lodge. Its very ‘Western’, like right out of a movie!

    As well as the 12 horses, they also have 2 goats and a miniature donkey who love lots of attention! They have given me tomorrow off to settle in, and then I start working on Friday.
    Read more