Satellite
  • Day 49

    Portland, OR

    October 18, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    Before I begin with Portland I did spend a few more days with Ryan and Christina putting up some siding. We continued to have delicious meals and visited a great brewery down the road. They even broke out some champagne the last night of my visit. Thanks again guys! That was fun.

    After Enumclaw I was going to head to Portland, but a storm over the weekend put a damper on the planned birthday party on the coast. I had planned on seeing Tom Bergeron so I had to turn north to spend the night with him. It was nice to go for a bike ride and drink some delicious beers with Tom. I didn't get to meet his new wife Megan, but I'll just have to come back!

    The next morning I made my way to Portland with a stop at the museum of flight in southern Seattle. The museum was cool and a good way to get out of the rain. After the museum I made my way to Portland. Just before getting into Portland it started raining hard. Just enough to get my gloves wet. This would be a common theme in the coming days.

    I stayed with Luke and Michelle for the next few days. We went out for a delicious dinner at the radio room which is right down the street from their house. They live in an great neighborhood, and an awesome house! I was there during the week so we just hung out at night. During the day Luke suggested that I check out the 4T trail which uses the train, tram, trail, and trolley. What an awesome trail. It starts in downtown Portland, takes you up to the zoo, and then you walk to the highest point in Portland on a wooded trail that looks like the island on Jurassic park. At the top you can see Mt saint Helen, Mount Hood, and a few others. There were a lot of clouds so I don't think I saw all the visible peaks. Then you take a tram down to southern Portland and the trolley takes you back to the start.

    Portland is a cool city! They also have delicious doughnuts. I made it my personal quest to sample different shops. Voodoo doughnuts wins for me even though it was the most well known and commercial. The next day it rained all day, so I had breakfast with Laura Totten! Great to catch up with her. After breakfast I decided to check out the arcade. An excellent idea (thanks for putting that seed in my head Tom B.). Time crisis II is just as fun as I remember.

    In the evening Luke, Michelle, and I went out for some food truck dinner. Portland has many of these beauties. I'm going to need to visit Portland again in the summer when it's less rainy. Thanks again for hosting me in Portland Luke and Michelle! Great to see you.

    Photos: Pike Place Market, an unusual break in the clouds and the sun was out. A view of Mount Hood while on the 4T trail in Portland. My favorite doughnut in Portland, the maple bacon bar. An awesome yet unusually placed house along the 4T trail. Great for the residents, but unfortunate for the landscape. The tram back down to Portland. Breakfast with Laura.
    Read more