Satellite
  • Day 71

    Vegas Baby!

    November 9, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Just outside of Vegas is Red Rocks. On my way there I drove through the heart of the Mojave desert. Luckily for me it wasn't too hot because it is November, but temperatures here can crest 100 degrees on a regular basis in the summer. The Mojave was beautiful. Large mountain ranges surround you and it looks like you'll be trapped, but the roads sneak between the mountains like a cyclist doing the wiggle in San Francisco. Then you see more flat desert and the next range off on the horizon.

    About 50 miles outside of Vegas there is some cool technology out in the desert. Three large thermal solar collectors sit on the desert floor directing sunlight at a focal point. Imagine a huge array of mirrors all pointed at a tower in the middle of those mirrors. You can actually see the intense light beaming back to that central tower. I wasn't able to get a picture as I was on an interstate, but if you're curious look up the Ivanpah solar power facility. It's pretty cool. Apparently the beams of concentrated light can kill birds that fly through them as the air temperature can reach 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. A terrible side effect of such a technology as a dessert ecosystem is such a fragile one. About 3500 birds were killed during the first year of operation, and apparently the company that built the technology is trying to deter wild life, especially birds, from entering the air space surrounding the intense light.

    Before arriving at Red Rocks, I made sure to stop at an in and out. I'd heard of the burger joint from many people who said it was not to be missed. I didn't get to one in Cali as I was on a hunt for good tacos, which I felt was more important than a fast food burger. The Vegas area isn't known for tacos so it was time for a burger. I think I need to run some more tests to see where the in and out burger stands among others, but it was a solid fast food burger. I'd eat another one. Animal style is definitely the way to go. Thanks for the heads up Sam!

    After a burger I shot over to red rocks and drove through the park loop. I wasn't inspired to go for much hiking here either so it was time for bed.

    The next day I made my way into Vegas and got ready to see the Cirque du Soleil show O. Before the show I walked around the strip getting lost in the mega hotels near the Belagio. What an unusual place Vegas is. A gigantic city in the middle of a desert. I think it's strange how we see nothing wrong with using tremendous amounts of power and water for an adult playground in the desert, but some people are opposed to building renewable energy systems in the same area. Just something to think about.

    The circus was amazing as was the surrounding area. I had an awesome seat too. The seat was so good and I was dressed in the nicest clothes I had with me, which were my only pair of pants and my button down flannel patterned shirt, that one of the ushers jumped in front of me on my way to my seat to make sure someone with my style was in the right spot. After the show I got to see the fountain show at the Belagio. Pretty cool. After Vegas it was onward to the Hoover dam! Another renewable energy technology in the middle of fragile ecosystems.

    Pictures: The Mojave. Red Rocks. My view at O. The fountain show at the Belagio. Lake Mead which is above the hoover dam.
    Read more