Satellite
  • Day 34

    Poking around Paris...on bikes. 33 km

    October 8, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Can't be in Paris with bikes and not cycle along the Seine. So that's exactly what we did.

    We started out exploring the Bois de Vincennes right beside us. It's a 1000 ha park with....a chateau (of course), four lakes, veledrome, an English landscape garden, a zoo, an arboretum, a botanical garden, a hippodrome (horse-racing track), a velodrome, and more. Its about 3 times the size of NY's central park! Good old Napoleon III had good insight to the future. This is where the joggers come 🏃🏃🏃. It's criss-crossed with running paths, bike paths and walking trails over the whole thing. Great people watching when we stopped for our picnic beside a lake.

    Then on to find the Seine . Paris is a surprisingly bike friendly city, even with all the busy-ness. Our street has a bike path the whole way, separated with small concrete barriers so feels quite safe...tho you still must keep a lookout 👀. Before we know it there we are...a fantastic way to see the Seine. We thought we'd 'pop into' Notre Dame to compare it to others we've seen on this trip...hah 🤣. Paris doesn't slow down in October! And around the corner from Notre Dame was just a bustling! We snuck into an Irish bar for our one and only croque monsieur this trip (basically toasted ham and cheese). And a pint - Irish Gold. Then more wandering amongst the masses...pushing our bikes here.

    Had a special date tonight with our friends Mark and Diana...who came all the way to Paris to meet us for dinner at a cute bistro 😉. Lifestyles..... a fun time!
    Read more