Satellite
  • Day 21

    Aussie Miscellany

    February 1, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    We canned Canberra. We weren't getting many must-see's, then a Canberra native said... "Visiting administrative buildings...how exciting" 😝.  So back to Melbourne - familiar territory...relatively.  Handed back the rental car...incident-free! 2200 kms later.

    Driving Aus observations:

    Tiddly and well-kept homes and towns, even along the thoroughfares and thru the small out-of-way towns. Very different from small town America or even BC.

    No gas and dash protection. First time we went to fill up - nowhere to pay at the pump. So in we go to pay...  "Just fill up and come in after". Okay then.

    They're serious about safe driving down here...or are they? Safety signs everywhere,  regular passing lanes, good highways. But they do let you whip along....110 on highways and 80-100 on two-lane bumpy, windy roads 😯! It'd be 60 max at home.

    Queen Victoria statues and place names boast colonial history everywhere you look.

    Love the aboriginal art...dot paintings are amazing! Cool murals in the small towns too.

    Thought Melbourne would be a bit quieter with the tennis over and school back. Not so, on a summer Friday night after work. Can't see any recession from this view!
    Read more