Satellite
  • Day 4

    Day 3 Dublin to Bru na boinne

    October 5, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Started the day at St Patricks Cathedral. There had beem a church on that site sice 800's. The new church on that site was constructed in 1191 and has many crypts inside it like the author of Gullivers travels, Harry Swift.
    We checked out of the Paramount Hotel today and jumped on the hop on hop off bus and travelled around to the old jail were we got off and walked a little ways to the Budget car hire place and we picked up a little car. From here we navigated out of Dublin taking a few wrong turns tring to get used to the Map.me app that is an offline app that proven to be very useful and it is a free app. We made our way to Bru na boinne which was around an hour up the road. A little longer as we took a couple of wrong turns and ended up on the M1 rather than the M50. We got there.
    We pulled into the visitor centre and when on a tour. Lucky for us today they were doing tours for free. Bonus! We got on the bus and went up to Bru na boinne or Knorth site were we walked around the site and found out about the Neolithic people that were at the site building these carnes between C.3000 - 2000BC. The carns were used to bury their dead in them, that much they know. Other than what they have discovered from excavating the sites they know very little else as information had not been passed down through the generations. Interesting place and quiet amazing how they managed to engineer such sturctures that the roof does not leak even to this day. They were constructed around the time pyrimids in Eygpt were constructed.
    We checked into Newgrange Lodge for the night and went to Slane Castle for dinner. Dinner was excellent and a great recommendation from the Lodgings.
    Read more