Satellite
  • Day 16

    Honolulu

    October 28, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Since we're still on eastern USA time, Ted and I woke early today but managed to fall back asleep again. Even though it was still early when we eventually rose, it ended up being fine because we went down to the waterfront and fed the fish some bread Ted had bought. After that we decided we should go for breakfast too, and headed to one of my favourite places IHOP.

    After having a breakfast of crepes, Ted wouldn't let me order anything else even though I was still hungry. We went to Food Pantry to get some food instead even though we are only here a short while. Ted doesn't have to return to work for a few days and asked if he could stay longer. As much as I'd like to as well, it seemed like a reasonable request considering I took 4 weeks off earlier this year to study in Valencia, Spain.

    After taking the groceries back to our room, we went up onto the rooftop balcony of our hotel to check out the view - for the amount of money we've paid we are really impressed with this place. Even our room has a view of the beach. We then walked to Ala Moana which wasn't an easy task as Ted's sciatica has been playing up again. After looking around the shops, I had a great lunch of ahi fish before we caught the bus back to the accommodation.

    After having a nap it started to rain, which doesn't happen a lot when we're in Hawaii. We thought a Mexican dinner sounded like a good option so we showered and dressed and headed out to a restaurant that we had fond memories of. Well, the memories faded slightly when we saw the price of the meals. This place had always been one of our favourite cheap eateries but things have definitely changed. Ted gave the waitress the excuse that we were at the wrong restaurant so we could make a quick exit!

    Our dinner ended up being a nice cheap meal served from a row of vans catering to tourists. It might sound tacky but we really liked it. We did however end up taking it back to our room as the rain became worse. Of course the only other thing to do was visit Hula's downstairs for beers. We didn't see anyone we know, but as always, we still had a great night with the locals.
    Read more