Satellite
  • Aurora Borealis

    October 15, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ 🌧 4 °C

    The heavens open up offering a veritable cornucopia of light, a peek behind the curtain of the universe the Aurora Borealis. An event to behold for many, so when we realized we were in striking distance of this heavenly offering we decided to check it out.
    After inquiring about said other worldly phenomenon we quickly found out that it's not as simple as looking up.
    Conditions needed to be optimal, activity can be hit or miss, and the viewing location has to be free of light pollution. The website that forecasts the aurora gave us a decent chance and we attempted to
    line up all of these variables at the lighthouse, the darkest corner of Reykjavik. We reached the end of the bus line and exited. Mary a solo traveler we met on the bus joined us and we walked to ward the lighthouse and waited. An hour passed when suddenly a couple leapt out of their parked car and started feverishly setting up their tripods. They took aim at what looked like regular wispy clouds in the night sky. But what their camera returned was an explosion of green light. Despite our attempts at lining up multiple variables successfully there was still one glaring issue. A camera with the ability to adjust the aperture was needed to view the aurora. Why we were not let in on this tidbit of information is still a mystery. Imagine a printed image of the aurora in a 1920s news paper and you get a pretty close depiction of what we actually saw. The heavenly light show a glimpse into deep space, a veritable exploding night rainbow was in fact in person black and white.
    Read more