Satellite
  • Day 7

    Holyrood House

    May 28, 2019 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    All fueled up and back on the city bus towards Palace of Holyrood House. The weather was absolutely beautiful with not a cloud in the sky. Definitely not what we were expecting for Scotland, but none of us were complaining. Since Holyrood House is the Queen’s official Scottish residence, it’s closed when she stays there in the summer. We were fortunate to be in town a few weeks before it closes for the Queen’s visit and annual garden party.
    No pictures were allowed in the palace and what a shame because it’s full of history and is stunning. The palace was originally built in 1529 for King James V & wife Mary de Guise, parents of Mary, Queen of Scotts. In nearly 500 years it’s been home to dozens of Kings and Queens. Mary, Queen of Scots married her 2nd husband in the chapel, gave birth to her only son, James VI of Scotland / James I of England, and saw her trusted advisor murdered by her jealous husband. Bonnie Prince Charlie held court here in 1745 after a decisive Scottish victory over the English. It was a favorite getaway for Queen Victoria, and Queen Elizabeth uses the palace for investitures and state banquets. It’s been really neat to see so many castles, palaces and country homes, and to see one still in use, by the Queen no less, is pretty fascinating. The palace is huge and imposing from the outside. Although you don’t get to see the Royal state rooms, the rooms you do see give you the feeling that it is a house that is lived in and comfortable.

    After the tour we walked around the gardens and grounds which were also beautiful, and saw Arthur’s Seat in the distance.......
    Read more