Satellite
  • Day 63

    Sengalle Oasis, Cabanaconde, Peru

    December 20, 2016 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    What a day. We set out around 10 am to hike to the beautiful oasis of Sengalle. Sengalle lies at the bottom of the second deepest canyon in the world, Colca Canyon. We weren't quite sure what this journey would entail but we should have known hiking 1000m to the bottom of a massive canyon would require copious amounts of quad burning, knee tinging down steps. Cactus and strange desert plants dotted the near vertical walls, clinging to them as if their life depended on it; it did. Across the canyon were many small villages that seemed to defy logic considering their location. Farming terraces lined the hillsides as locals attempted to optimize the little space they have here.
    After three hours and countless switchbacks we made it to the oasis. What a treat it was! Fresh water swimming pools lined with lush grass and flowers and palms all around. We sat down to eat our lunch and refuel for the journey back up.
    On the way back up we saw a few condors circling high above and the light on the canyon walls was awesome as the sun began to dip low on the horizon. Our lungs were burning from the altitude (10800ft) as we neared the top. Off in the distance Sabancaya was erupting billows of grey and tan smoke and ash. What a cool sight. Our legs were fried but we were high from the hike.
    Read more