Satellite
  • Day 2

    Arrival in Spain

    September 18, 2019 ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    The Pyrenees to our left and Santander in front. We have had a beautiful crossing across the bay. No whales unfortunately.

    The Pont Aven was a very pleasurable experience. The cabin was comfortable and served our needs with an en-suite bathroom, towels and toiletries provided. The food was reasonably priced, €20 for two breakfasts and €40 for two two course dinners with cheese and biscuits and wine. We saw no whales but according to more experienced travellers of the route this is normal and it did not affect the enjoyment of looking for them.
    At 550 miles the trip costs just 20 pence per mile each which is a bargain. This would make a ticket on the Red Funnel ferry £2.20 per person and you don't get a bed or private toilet on the Red Funnel.
    Do expect to have to wait in the public areas at both ends if you are a foot passenger. They have 67 staff to clean 600 cabins in 3 hours so many are not ready when you board but all are ready before departure. At the destination you are asked to vacate the cabin 45 mins prior to arrival but there is plenty of space and seatingvwhilst you wait.
    All in all a great experience and a wonderful way to start a tour of Europe.
    Read more