Satellite
  • Before we go... let's get up to speed.

    July 1, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    With planning well underway and the calendar days quickly counting down, this travel journal will be our attempt at taking you along for the ride. Although many of you have asked, this is the closest we will get to packing you in our suitcase.
    So, how did this all come to be… well it started with our work sabbatical program. In March 2016 we signed paperwork to begin the process of taking a leave from work. Beginning in July of 2016 we would defer a portion of our earnings for 2 years to ‘save’ for our time off. This put us on track for a 6-month leave from July to December 2018!

    Time away from work?… Not be a slave to the alarm clock?… Share some dedicated time with the kids?… Continue to get paid?… we were in!

    Ok, the process was started, six months off work, so now what?

    What do we want to do, where do we want to go, how are we going to do it all?
    Well, you don’t often get an opportunity like this, so let’s make it something to remember.

    During previous adventures, both together and apart, we have had the opportunity to meet friends from all around the world. Over the years we have been lucky enough to have kept in touch, and even see, some of them, but not all. So now is the time… the path of our adventure takes us to a whole bunch of international locations, many of which are home to these friends. Everyone has been given a ‘heads up’ and fair warning about our plan to visit and no one seems to be going into hiding.
    As excited as we are to see numerous new places and sights, the building blocks of this trip are reunions, reconnecting and remembering. Whether it has only been 2 years or as long as 25 years, 2018 is a new chapter. We are eager to introduce Isaac and Oliver to our friends and their children. Their opportunity to reunite and ignite friendships while seeing some of this big world.
    So, “Please leave a message after the tone, we’re not here cause we are gone.
    Round the World is where we will be, but we’ll post our stories for y’all to see.”

    During the summer of 2017 we practiced our family vacation skills while visiting Canada’s east coast. Although still a year away, the ideas for our 2018 Around the World trip were bouncing around our heads.
    Read more