Satellite
  • Day 24

    25. Cartagena - the Old Town

    September 15, 2019 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    Cartagena's "Old Town" is aptly named for its colonial style 16th & 17th century architecture. It is an UNESCO World Heritage site, full of history and local culture, and is safe and friendly.

    This part of Cartagena is particularly lively, and almost attacks your senses. There were sounds of horns honking (pay special attention when its a bus - they can't stop as fast as the taxis can), street vendors selling their goods, music playing, entertainers performing, the clacking of horse hooves on cobblestones, tour guides leading their groups, children playing in the parks, and the occasional political orator sharing his ideals through his bullhorn.

    We wandered through the town, which was full of churches, plazas, restaurants, shops, and street vendors selling locally made trinkets. We visited, amongst other places, the Palace of the Inquisition, which provided a disturbing reminder of the horrific practice of identifying and eliminating heretics through torture. On a happier note, the Chocolate Museum we went to provided free tasting before purchase. Yummy!
    Read more