Satellite
  • Day 8

    Port Douglas: The Rainforest

    January 13, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Collected at 730am in small minibus with 6 other people. Tour guide called Justin. He was excellent and genuinely seemed to care about the rainforest and really wanted to share with us all his knowledge.

    First stop was Mossman Gorge which was enormous river that was really swollen from previous rains. There was a walkway that we walked along through the rainforest where Justin explained a lot about the trees and wildlife and then we turned corner to this immense thundering river.

    From here drove to the Daintree River where we boarded a river cruise and went along the calm wide river looking for crocs. We didn't succeed in seeing any crocs as the river was really high because of the recent heavy rains but we did see a frog, a small snake and a python sunning itself on the top of a tree and loads of bats (spectacled flying foxes I think they were called). They were heading to sleep but some were moving and had babies with them.

    Got off the river cruise and headed in car up to a lookout point across the rainforest where we had morning tea including a home made lamington (kind of really light chocolate cake covered in coconut). It was a surprisingly nice day, we had expected rain but other than the very first part in the rainforest it was beautiful!

    From the lookout point we drove to Cape Tribulation on the edge of the rainforest which was a stunning white sandy beach. All along the roads we were looking for a Cassowary bird (in the emu and ostrich family with blue and red head) but we didn't have any luck in seeing one. Went to a small patch of rainforest where it was just us having lunch (salad and cold meats, really yummy) and then drove to Daintree Ice Cream company. They sell ice cream made from the fruits they grow on the farm so it's a different blend every day. We had coconut, mango, damson plum (my favourite, really sharp and purple) and wattleseed (which was like a cross between vanilla and coffee, kind of a mocha flavour)

    From here drove to cassowary falls (a waterfall that only this tour company had access to) and went into the water. It was a bit murky and muddy coloured due to the excessive rains and flooding they'd had but I went with it anyway and got in! Stood about bum deep and saw some turtles. Then the tour guide threw some fish food into the water and the fish went mental! I hadn't really realised there would be fish in there. Another girl freaked out first when one touched her leg and I knew I had to go her way to get out. So I screamed too when things kept touching my legs. Did not like it at all! But am proud I went in at all! When we were safely at the waters edge we could see it was in fact a massive eel!! Not like an English eel but literally the size of my arm. Still gives me the shivers now when I think about it!

    Then returned back to Port Douglas. Really really good trip and best value for money! The tour guide made it, he didn't stop talking all the way and gave us so much history of the area, it was really fascinating and made me want to read about it!

    Went out for dinner at On the Inlet, a seafood place by the marina, and had delicious tuna steak and a few glasses of wine. One was super nice, very sweet and apricot flavoured which was a Moscato Australian wine.
    Read more