Satellite
  • Day 37

    On the road to the Barossa

    November 26, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 20 °C

    We are moving on today and heading north to the Barossa Valley and yet more wines. It's tough out here you know! The journey is very picturesque through the Adelaide Hills and then on to the Barossa. It is a beautiful morning and the gums and grasses glisten in the sunlight. The cattle and sheep doze under the trees and it is a straightforward journey to Hahndorf which is the halfway point. As you may have guessed from the name, this is a small town with strong German antecedents and from here on this is a continued theme. We stopped for a couple of hoùrs and had lunch at the aptly named Udder Delights! A local cheese platter was the order of the day. Here in Hahndorf are all things German, from Cow Bells to Chippendale Lederhosen aprons!
    It was busy being a Saturday and within easy shouting distance of Adelaide. The town was a charming stop and we eventually pushed on north, again through beautifully scenic country. Our final stop 'The Louise' is just out of the town of Tanunda and 'a passionate vintners retreat' to quote the blurb. It is pretty special I must say and we are staying in a Vineyard suite with lovely views over the countryside. It boasts two showers, indoor and out! The outer version is in a secluded walled courtyard. It was a very warm late afternoon, so I felt I must take advantage of possibly the only chance I may ever have to use an outdoor shower. (in comfort I might add) There was just me and two sparrows perched on the top of the wall. They didn't stay long!
    Read more